Bald...By Chemo...By Choice

Bald...By Chemo...By Choice
Picture taken 3/4/2010...2 days after final chemo treatment

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Post Christmas Posting...

Can't sleep...up extra early for church, waiting for coffee to finish...no newspaper yet...thought I'd update. Christmas was wonderful for the Ruiz family...lots of time with family and friends...many, many extra long hugs and much love...God is good all the time!!
Chemo will start on December 29th...four cycles all together with the last one scheduled for March 2nd. According to Dr. Janis, my oncologist, the risk of "residual, microscopic, metastatic cancer cells" was significant enough for me that chemo isn't really an 'option', it just is...so we begin on Tuesday. I think I have done all of my reading homework, dropped off my prescriptions, have my chemo buddy(my sister Phyllis)and am ready to begin this leg of my journey.
I spent some time looking at wigs/hair-pieces...I like the bangs that velcro into a hat, or long, straight "Cher hair" that velcros into a hat...I may opt for black so don't be surprised if I start singing, "they say we're young, and we don't know, we won't find out until we grow..." I hope to have fun with the whole 'fake hair' thing. I just don't want to frighten my special-ed students.
Once chemo is finished, after they give my body a few weeks to compose itself, we'll begin 6 to 7 weeks of radiation therapy. That ought to be a snap, so I've heard. I'm hoping to work as much as I can, taking time off as I need to rest and 'chillax' as Austin says.
Coolest thing I've seen this vacation...fellow high-school bball coaches and Matt's players wearing pink wrist bands...pink in gymnasiums is a good thing...also heard that I get special mentioning in the Lancer's pregame prayers (Thanks Lucas). I feel all of your prayers and am so blessed by your caring and compassion. Here is a great verse from Colossians that a fellow breast cancer survivor sent to me in a card: "We pray that you will have the strength to stick it out over the long haul-not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that He has for us.
With thanks and love,

Jeanne

6 comments:

  1. Your NM fans have been thinking of you and talking about you quite a bit. From Harold and Sherry to Sue and Jim and Sister Sarah too, you've been on our minds and in our conversations daily. I'm anxious to check-in with the Ruiz fam when I return (changed travel plans, am here until 1/3) and look forward to sporting a pink wristband too. You remain one of the best bloggers I know and a continued source of love, hope, and joy. On behalf of your NM/CA fan club, we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, your positive attitude is something we should all learn from. I'm amazed at your strength. I pray for you every day and will be thinking of you today as you begin your treatment. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you today and sending prayers of hope, healing and peace for you my friend.

    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jeanne,
    Prayers for healing, prayers for strength, prayers for peace of mind, prayers for the doctors and nurses providing your care, prayers for Matt & Austin & Chloe, and prayers of thanks for you and for sharing your faith during this journey are being offered up to our Loving Father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne,
    I've been thinking of you today and hope all went smoothly with the first chemo treatment. I'll be praying that 2010 brings you complete, cancer-free health.
    Cheers, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeanne,
    Just got back from Utah. I hope you're feeling much better by now. My entire family keeps you and yours in our thoughts and prayers...I imagine you could feel them from the snowy slopes :)
    Love you! Mary

    ReplyDelete