Bald...By Chemo...By Choice

Bald...By Chemo...By Choice
Picture taken 3/4/2010...2 days after final chemo treatment

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cancer Score: Chemo 3 Jeanne 1

I thought that I would treat this chemo protocol like 4 quarters of a basketball game and although we all know what the final score will be come March 2nd, I thought this would be a fun way to share my chemo thoughts and experiences. Since each quarter lasts approximately 20 days I'll update periodically with both team and individual stats and highlights (hopefully no lowlights).
The scouting report on Chemo had it looking very powerful, strong and potent. Well, it did not disappoint as it took two nurses and 10 minutes to get the IV needle inserted into my vein...Chemo was armed with MANY drugs, too many for me to remember. I responded well to Chemo's potency by showing that I was not allergic to any of its weapons and I think I tolerated Chemo's power well during the treatment. I am continuing to play stellar defense against Chemo. I have stopped its attacks of nausea for the most part. However, I am showing signs of fatigue and wish I could call for a sub right about now; oh well.
First quarter updates to continue at a later date...

My sister Phyllis was my Chemo partner for today and it was so great to have her with me. We rocked the Infusion room with our fashion and gossip magazines and constant chatter and witty banter. I don't think many of the patients appreciated all that we had to offer but most of them finished before I did. I did realize that there are people far more sicker than I am and I prayed especially hard for a man who was there for a very long time today, getting many chemo drugs. He looked very sick...
Tomorrow I go back to Dr. Janis' office to receive my two shots: one for nausea and one to boost my white blood cell count.
Ordered hats, scarves and hair-pieces tonight. That was an experience...
Both Lancer teams (JV and Varsity) are playing for tournament championships tomorrow. I am hoping to attend both games...
Chloe will be coming home with us from Matt's game in Ventura...I miss that girl!!

Thanks for the comments on the blog today...I've read them all...more than once.
This journey has begun with so much optimism, caring and compassion. Your prayers and good wishes have been the driving force. Thank you from the bottom of my heart...
With continued love and thanks,

Jeanne

5 comments:

  1. Yes, we are rather witty, aren't we. Must be a Fink family trait and years of practice! So happy to be your buddy yesterday and then, of course, hit the mall. I love your new watch! Memo to next chemo buddy, bring a chair, preferrably with a back and no wheels.... sliding around on the nurse's stool might be a bit dangerous. Nothing like hitting the patient next to Jeanne and their IV pole. Ooops! You are doing GREAT!! You are my little sister and I love you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tournament championships, rocking the fashion and gossip magazines, responding well to chemo...survey says, go team Ruiz (and Lancers)!!!!! You remain an inspiration who dresses well, knows her basketball, and has heart bigger than any I know. Continually in awe of your awe, poise, and grace. Love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chemo IS powerful...just think of it as an army (the good) attacking the army (the bad) that is attacking you. Does that make sense? Glad you had a fun chemo partner...laughter really does help, doesn't it? Praying for you, Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm continuing to pray for you, Jeanne. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this "battle".
    Your blog is so clever. I've been reading it all along and have tried to post a comment. Maybe this time I'll do it right and it will reach you.
    Love in Christ,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne I so remember when Alicia's little one was 3 months old and he was up at UCI for Infantile Spazams..he was to be hooked up to IVs and they tried and tired to get the IV to work..it took 4 tries..my friend Jacquie finally got someone from the Nick U to come..but I so remember holding my dear sweet granson while he cried as Alicia had gone home to change clothes and shower...the tears I shed that day for him..I so feel your pain..it's never easy..know that you are always in my prayers..and I pray that your long road comes easy..love you Jeanne..Karen Cox

    ReplyDelete