Bald...By Chemo...By Choice

Bald...By Chemo...By Choice
Picture taken 3/4/2010...2 days after final chemo treatment

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chemo 3 Team Jeanne 1:End of First Quarter...

Well, the buzzer has sounded, signaling the end of the first quarter. Team Jeanne (renamed because there is NOTHING about this that I am doing by myself) finished extremely strong and clearly took the quarter from Chemo. Team Jeanne struggled at the beginning of the quarter, due to Chemo's MANY weapons that just kept coming off the bench: headaches, nausea, vomiting, nausea, achy bones, insomnia, nausea, night sweats and did I mention nausea? Team Jeanne struggled a bit but kept fighting through the pressure defense and was able to get the upper hand by the end of the quarter.

The only Chemo weapon that I had no defense for was hair loss and it is GONE...we finally buzzed it Saturday night. Clearly when your hair comes out in handfuls every time you touch your head it is time to do something proactive about it. Matt put the clippers to work on a level 4 first, and when Austin said "is there anyway you could make it look a little more even?" , we knew it was time to go to a level 1. I have multiple bald spots even with the level 1 now so I know it is only a matter of time...Oh well, I have a plethora of scarves and a couple of hairpieces so we'll see how it goes. I am almost to the point where I forget about it, as I am out and about around town with my hairless head wrapped in a scarf. I have gotten some wonderful, spontaneous, kind comments from complete strangers. An umbrella isn't so important these days to keep my hair from 'frizzing out'. It is SO much easier to get ready in the mornings...no smoothing hair cream, no root booster, no hair dryer, no big round brush, no mousse wax and no hairspray. Not sure what I'll do when the eyebrows and eyelashes go...
God is good all the time!!! He is the Coach of this team and He has provided the Team with so much compassion, grace, love and reassurance. I cling to that every hour of every day and I thank you all for being a part of this Team.

Lots of Love from the bottom of my heart,

Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. My favorite first quarter moment is courtesy of "Brother". I got to see Austin on Sunday and Monday and I still get tears in my eyes thinking of how proud he was to tell me your stories and updates. It is obvious that he is learning so much from you and is amazed by who you are. Go Team Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the t-shirt -- Yes, they're fake, the real ones tried to kill me -- I want that one too. But here's one I saw at the 3day when I was celebrating my first year BC-free -- it was on a darling bald woman -- " Who needs hair with a body like this? " you go girl. Love your stories!

    ReplyDelete